Home Pregnancy Test

photo 1 photo 2

Would just like to share my home pregnancy test story.

So I was expecting to get my period last February 1 Friday. I am very regular with my periods and have only been late a couple of times. It was already mid-afternoon and my period hasn’t started. Of course I am not very good in the waiting game so I decided to go buy a home pregnancy test (hpt). I decided to buy the Early predictor test wherein it can predict even 4 days before you miss you period. I though since this is a very sensitive test I would be able to get a reliable result right away. So I decided to take a nap before taking the test thinking it might be similar to the first morning pee since I would have just woken up. Haha! Yeah right who was I kidding! So of course I could not nap for very long and decided to take the test already. I made sure to read the instructions very carefully and followed it correctly. It says after collecting your pee to wait for 5 minutes before reading the results. So again 5 minutes felt like an hour. I left the test in the bathroom stepped out but kept walking back in to peep. No line was appearing. No line means NOT pregnant. Five minutes have passed and still no line. My heart dropped. I tried to tell myself not to feel bad and that I still have another month to try.

I started getting dressed as I was going to meet up with my husband for dinner. Again I kept checking the test every 5 minutes to see if any line would appear. I did see a very very faint line but only if I would put it directly under a light. And the instructions clearly stated that any result that comes out after 10 minutes should not be considered as this could just be what they call an evaporation line.

Of course it did not help that my husband knows my period is due today. So he asked me if I got my period already. Then I couldn’t hide it from him so I told him that I bought a pregnancy test. I told him that no I still don’t have my period but I am not pregnant. He was laughing and teasing me for buying a HPT saying I am so impatient and can’t seem to just wait for tomorrow to really confirm that I have missed my period.

Anyways as soon as we got home I then got the HPT to show to my husband. The faint line is now more visible but still faint. And I told him that this result does not count anymore. But deep inside I was secretly hoping it really was a positive result. Good thing is my period hasn’t arrived. It was late so I decided to sleep. True enough I could not sleep because my mind keeps thinking about the test and how my period hasn’t arrived and that if by tomorrow I still do not have it then I should go and buy another test and another brand.

The next day still no period! I thought to myself “There’s hope!”. Every time I go to the bathroom to pee and still see no period I secretly smile. So after lunch I was so excited to buy another test. I wanted to try the Clearblue brand because I read good reviews about it. Yes I even researched about HPT’s. So when I finally decided to do the test (after another short nap again) I was thinking this has to work. I missed my period for sure. I just need closure. This test should show a positive sign (+) if you are pregnant after five minutes. While waiting for five minutes to be up I noticed first a very dark horizontal negative line showing. Then slowly a very very faint positive line started to appear. If you would read the instructions it says even if the positive line is faint it’s still a line. But this was really really faint. It did not help in giving me closure. But when I showed it to my husband he could also see the faint vertical line but was also doubting it.  After some time like around 30 minutes the faint vertical line disappeared!! and only left the dark horizontal line. Is my mind playing tricks on me? How could this happen again? I already wasted 2 HPTs and still no closure. I was getting really frustrated.

The next day, Sunday, I had brunch with some friends. This took my mind off this whole “not-knowing-yet-is-driving-me-crazy” state of mind. But I know there is hope as I still don’t have my period. I was feeling absolutely normal that morning. Had a very heavy yummy brunch of waffles, bacon and egg with hollandaise sauce. When I got home I had the strangest feeling. My stomach felt very queasy. My mind was half scared that it might be the hollandaise sauce that’s making me sick and the other half was hoping it might be the start of pregnancy symptoms. Morning sickness maybe? I tried taking a nap, drinking water but my stomach felt really queasy. But not to the point that I would actually vomit. It just felt like my stomach couldn’t seem to settle down.

Being ready with all the knowledge on how to handle morning sickness/nausea I decided to make myself some ginger tea. It did help relieve my stomach. My husband kept teasing me that I really might be pregnant this time because I was feeling this way. So that night I decided to buy another HPT but this time I went for a generic one a.k.a. a cheap test. I bought it from Guardian drugstore and they have their own brand of HPT. The reason why I wanted to try out this generic test is that I also read that generic tests can also be very sensitive and therefore more reliable. The pack I bought had 2 tests just to be safe in case I mess one up or to really make sure about the results. I also read that if you are not using your first morning urine then you should hold your pee for at least 4 hours to make sure it’s not diluted. Maybe that’s what happened with the 2 other tests that’s why I got false negatives or maybe it was just too early to test.

After waiting for 5 hours I decided to pee on the stick. Here goes nothing! In this test a line should appear in the control part which means the test worked well and another line in the test part which means your pregnant. After 5 minutes of waiting a line finally appeared. It was not as dark as the control but it was dark enough to be seen and dark enough to be sure I wasn’t imagining a line. So I guess yay I’m finally pregnant! Somehow the waiting and the false negatives dissolved my excitement. Now time to sleep. The next morning I took the other test and got a positive result again.

Time to call the doctor for an appointment!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s